Policy on Training
To ensure compliance with the USDA Animal Welfare Act and the recommendations of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals the University of Louisiana at Lafayette requires that all faculty and staff utilizing live animals in research participate in an online animal welfare training program.
Members of the research faculty and staff include but are not limited to:
- faculty proposing research to take place on the main campus
- faculty proposing research to take place at NIRC
- faculty proposing research to take place in field type studies
- graduate students
- study technicians or coordinators
- behavioral coordinators
- animal resources personnel directly named in study activity
- quality assurance personnel
- members of the UL Lafayette IACUC
- investigators outside of the University involved in research at a campus facility
If you are submitting an Animal Procedure Statement (APS), you must complete on-line training in Animal Welfare and have a certificate of completion on file with the UL Lafayette IACUC.
Approval of your APS is contingent upon completion of Animal Welfare training. All personnel listed on the APS must also complete the training.
Online Training Program
We provide free online training to everyone caring for, treating or using animals in their research via the
New CITI users will need to register.
Use the buttons in the upper right of the CITI homepage for registration and login.
In Step 1 of registration, please select the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Steps 2-6 will gather personal information.
In Step 7, you will choose the courses and modules to take. Please select "Working with the IACUC" and the module that applies to your selected species.
Note - you can add modules later by clicking the "Add a course" button at the bottom of the main menu page once logged in.
For additional information visit the IACUC Resources page.
Note: All personnel working at the New Iberia Research Center must attend additional required annual training sessions.